It’s that time again. Our glorious Florida weather is being sprinkled with random rainstorms and the heat is getting cranked up just a bit. Although some Floridians love this time of year (I do, I do!), others know this change in weather jumpstarts the prepping and packing associated with going back up north for the off-season. Amidst the preparatory plans, homeowners can sometimes forget how important it is to safeguard your Mediterra home against the temperamental weather summer brings and the mishaps that can take place when your home is left unattended. No one wants to come home to mold and mildew from a massive water leak or an infestation due to strong winds causing a lawn chair to bust through a window. Yep, it’s happened to some unfortunate homeowners, but fear not, snowbird friends, here is our list of summer maintenance tips to make sure you come back to the exact same home you left.
- Clean out your refrigerator
- Run water in all faucets for 10 minutes to flush system, then put olive oil (about one capful) in trap to seal in moisture
- Turn off the water
- Unplug the hot water heater/Turn off the breaker
- Make sure pool water supply autofill is still functioning
- Turn off the breaker for the pool heater
- Set the air conditioner at 78 degrees and the dehumidifier at 45
- Install surge protectors throughout your home
- Unplug all audio/visual components, including the phone and cable lines
- Clean out gutters and drainage
- Have all stucco cracks sealed and all caulking at windows and doors inspected and repaired as necessary
- Inspect grading at the perimeter of your home for improper slope (All grading should slope away from the foundation)
- Schedule pest control services
- Bring in lanai furniture
- Stop newspaper deliveries until your return
- Forward your mail to your off-season home
- Temporarily discontinue phone, internet and cable services.
- Have someone check on your home once a week and open your garage bi-weekly to let in fresh air
Don’t let this list overwhelm you. Most of these items can be completed easily with a little time or a great home watch company. Our preferred Naples custom homebuilder, London Bay Homes, offers all of these services with their Home Watch and Estate Management programs. Contact us for more information on their services.